Day 5 – Ground no. 20: Anfield Road, Liverpool
The name is iconic, and so, too, is the Kop end, even though the days of a giant terraced embankment are long gone. It is an impressive sight to stand at the opposite end and see the Kop rising from its seats to follow the action.
But the most impressive is the place. Seeing the ground rise above the terraced streets, as you approach from Stanley Park. The new main stand and the memorials may have cut into the housing, but the ground very much is the centre of a community.
20. Anfield Road, Liverpool F.C.
21. Elland Road, Leeds United
22. The County Ground, Swindon Town
23. St. Andrew’s, Birmingham City
24. St. James’ Park, Exeter City
Leave a Reply